Sunday, April 15, 2012

The Annoying Laugh


We’ve all heard it, that one person who has the weirdest laugh imaginable. Any funny situation may be made exponentially funnier by the shear reaction to that person’s laugh. I have a friend who laughs in such a way. I have described it to his face as that of a cross between a hyena and a crack-smoking SpongeBob SquarePants. I as well have been told that my laugh is funny. It can really be described as a high pitched squeal that is a stark comparison to my normally basal voice. However, when I say annoying laugh, I mean one that resonates from that one person who laughs at everything. Humor is good because it allows us to find funny situations in life. Laughter is very good too because when we laugh we blow off steam, be it in a stressful situation, or in one where someone has just told a great joke. There are many appropriate situations where we might be inclined to laugh at something funny, it could be an ironic situation or story, or watching someone get hurt or scared by the common occurrences that life throws at them. However, such things are within the realm of comedy and what continues to bother me about laughter is when it comes from those people who laugh when nothing is funny.
Let me put this into perspective. I work, like many people in this world, and at my job I am regularly confronted by one person who has a very bubbly temperament. By bubbly I mean those people who are always smiling and the smile bubbles of their personality overflow and improve the daily lives of people in their environments. However, this person is not the case as she regularly assaults me with her bubbles. I feel as though I need a riot shield in order to protect myself from this unavoidable onslaught. Anything I say to her results in an uproar of giggles and uncontrollable laughter. Initially I thought that it was funny; however, every single time after has irritated me to such a degree that I cannot properly express in words. Perhaps I will have to invent a word to describe it. (Please see the post below.) It has come to the point that I dread seeing this person around the office because the slightest word could possibly set her off. Some of you might think that she has feelings for me (my girlfriend thought the same), albeit I have observed (and heard) her uncontrollable laughter while conversing with anyone, it doesn’t matter if they attractive or not, or either male or female. I write this not to put her down because she is a nice person, but that laugh I cannot stand. If any of you out there feel the same or have been in a similar situation, let me know, and if you have then, I hope you will use the word samesicle.

No comments:

Post a Comment